Quality of the data matrix code
An evaluation of the wholesale sector regarding the readability of the data matrix code (DMC) has shown that some manufacturers have not complied with the rules for the quiet zone in terms of DMC printing, which has negatively impacted the readability of the code.
The following are particularly frequent error causes:
- Different code types were printed too close to each other.
- Reflections in the data field based on lamination.
- The DMC was printed too close to the tuck-in flap of the package.
- The PPN emblem was printed too close to the DMC.
- Missing or incorrect control characters for data separation in the DMC.
In order to keep your products saleable from 2017 onward, we urgently recommend you comply with the recommended coding and printing in accordance with the requirements of securPharm e.V. and IFA GmbH. Please visit the Customer area to view the publications “IFA Specification for the PPN Code for Retail Packages” and the “securPharm Coding Rules.” If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this topic, please feel free to give us a call.